Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Taking out the Tubes

Andrew got tubes put in his ears a little over two years ago. They helped so much! I think he had only been sick once or twice during that time. So why take them out? I guess if they stay in too long you can risk getting a permanent hole. Usually they fall out between 10-12 months after getting them. His were still perfectly intact! This meant surgery. Yes, maybe it was only a 20 minute same day surgery, but still, no one likes the sound of that word!
They always schedule children at the hospital first thing in the morning because they have to be fasting. If you know Andrew, you know that the first words out of his mouth are, "Can I have cheerios?" It was hard for him to not eat or drink anything, poor kid. This is Andrew on the way there. He had no idea what was happening. We got to the hospital at 7:15 am and of course had
to wait for a while before we even get put into a room.

We get back into our room and change Andrew into his hospital gown and socks. Those sure are the funkiest socks I have ever seen!
They had a lady from Pediatrics come down with a basket full of toys. I am so glad she was there! He was coloring, playing cars, got stickers, and best of all, blew bubbles! All this while they took his blood pressure (which he hated) and did a little checkup on him.
This picture is the best. He is catching the bubbles and pretty serious about it as you can tell. Way to go Derick getting this shot!
After our doctor and anesthesiologist came in to explain to us what was going to happen, a nurse came to get Andrew. No, he didn't want to go, but she brought a warm blanket and wrapped it around him and took his right away. There is no saying goodbye and it will be alright. It is better she just takes them because I bet a lot of kids would freak out or have melt downs at this point! The surgery was to trim away around the tubes to be able to get them out, then put a patch over that hole to let it heal.

About thirty minutes later they brought him back to us! They take them to a room after surgery to wake up a little, then bring them to you. Usually kids cry out the anesthesia. That is what he did when he had the tubes put in. The anesthesiologist before told us he would be surprised if he didn't cry afterwards just to warn us. The first thing Andrew asks for is his blanket as his eyes are still rolling in his head. Then he said that he didn't want the eagle. What eagle? I didn't even know he knew what an eagle was! He talked about it later that day. He said he was scared of it.
We have no clue what it was or where he saw it, but will ask the doctor at his 2 week checkup if they have one in the surgery room!
Slowly he came back to it, but not crying. We were so amazed! You could hear screams from all the other rooms where the other kids were trying to wake up! Yeah for us! He wanted to snuggle for a while and EAT! Luckily we packed a bag of cheerios! After another thirty minutes it was time to go! Trying to get his clothes back on him was fun, since he was a little tipsy and couldn't stand up!

The rest of that day Andrew was the most hyper I have ever seen him. He was jumping, rolling, shaking, tapping, spinning, you name it! He would watch a movie and be shaking his foot and head while he sat there. He didn't fall asleep for his nap either which it weird because he got up so early. I called the doctor and they said he could just be working out the anesthesia still. All I can say is that was one exhausting day!

2 things you had to say!:

Amy said...

Sweet boy is all I can say. Oh, and that I love Dr. Denys as a ENT!

Angel Brockbank said...

Wow, that must have been a long day, and an emotional one at that. Good job for being brave, him and you!