Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July proposal...

Time to take a trip down memory lane! When Derick and I were dating, he decided he wanted to take a trip up to Alaska to meet my family and see where I was from! I was extremely excited, especially since he would be able to go to Seward for the 4th of July with us! If you aren't an Alaskan, then you probably don't know what or where Seward is. It is a little town of about 2,500 people. Glaciers, cruise ships, fishing charters, you name it! Well, on the 4th of July this little town turns into MADNESS! The population grows to close to 40,000 on the 4th! We have been going here since I was little.


Ok, back to my proposal story. We all go to Seward and camp on the 3rd and wake up for the festivities. The Mount Marathon is the main event. My little brother and I did the juniors race 3 times and it was HARD! Click HERE to see pictures of the mountain you run up! SO, there are a ton of people in the town, festivities going on and racers constantly crossing the finish line. As they come close to finishing, the announcers say their name and where they are from. These announcers also say what is going on when for the day. You can hear them pretty much ANYWHERE in the town!




So we are watching people finish the race and we hear over the speakers, "Derick P., we have something of yours at the announcers table, please come claim it." We look at each other wondering what in the world they are talking about and start running up there. Derick says, "Maybe it is my wallet." No, his wallet was in his pocket. I had no clue what was happening and finally we reach the table. When we get there, they give Derick a hand to pull him up on the table and hand him the microphone. WHAT?! What is going on?! Then he pulls me up there with him. Derick starts working the crowd, asking how everyone is doing today! He finally says, "I brought this young lady up here today to ask her to marry me!" My mouth drops open. He gets down on one knee, pulls out the ring and asks me to marry him! Don't forget this is in front of the whole town! People were crying, laughing, screaming, the whole works! I giggled and said yes, kind of. (Afterwards people told me I just sounded like I was giggling and wondered what I answered him.) We get down, take some pictures and start walking around again. People were stopping us right and left congratulating us! It was so much fun and perfect! Great job Derick and thanks to Amy for helping him set that up!!

10 things you had to say!:

Amy said...

THat is such a cute story! Hope you guys have a happy 4th!!!

skcoe said...

Holy freaking cuteness. I'm sitting here just dying, that is so amazing that you were able to get it all on film.

Good job Derick!

Keersten said...

You guys are seriously adorable!

Nicole + Brock said...

That is such a cute proposal. I don't know that I have ever heard the story.

smacula said...

Wow-- that gave me goose bumps-- that is soooo cute!!!! Good job Derek you win in the romance department---- what a story!!!!!

The Lowder Family said...

Oh I love seward!!!!! I had no idea that's where Derrick propposed. Is that picture taken in July? I can't believe how snowy it is there

Derick and Becky said...

Yep, that is July!!

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

Oh how I loved watching you giggle on the big platform that fateful 4th of July. Good Times!

Sue said...

Oh my goodness Becky! I had no idea. That is such an awesome proposal!

Chantelle said...

How creative and romantic! GARSH!